Basketball season ends as NC State loses to Iowa in the NCAA Sweet16
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cuse

Default Cuse

I think a very winnable game at home. Cuse is a good and well coached team. They have some good wins on their resume with their biggest being against Duke in Cameron that was without Tre Jones. They also have some WTF losses including a 14 point loss to Ga Tech. Big key is we got to hit shots and attack the zone like we did in their barn last season.

Must win!!!
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Hell yea!!! Big win!!! That's all I got to say about that. Let's go to Durham.

Certainly a win the Pack needed to have in order to secure its goals for the season, which remains an NCAA berth. This team can still be a force in the ACC Tournament, but the inconsistency has been the bugaboo so far.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Keatts
    That's the guy that I believe in. He could come out and go 0 for 20, and then I know the next time he comes out, he's going to play. I've never, ever, questioned his ability to make shots. I love the kid. I wish that every kid that I recruited at NC State is like Braxton Beverly. Works hard, great kid, low maintenance.
    Braxton Beverly tied his career high scoring output at 21 points in tonight's home game against Syracuse, a team widely known as being very good at perimeter defense due to the height and speed of their guards. This game was almost a switch of the disastrous Virginia Tech game, which was the Pack's previous home game. This time, our defense stymied a good Syracuse team and forced them to shoot poorly, plus converted their rebounds and steals to points. I listened to the Wolfpack radio broadcast at work, and it was nice to hear. The announcers kept expecting to see Syracuse launch their effective full court press defense, which caused fits against Duke, Florida State, and Clemson. But, against the Pack, we broke it down the first three times they tried it, and the Cuse never tried it again.

Beverly broke down the Syracuse zone defense and after that, Boeheim didn't seem to have any other answers for what we were doing.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...meId=401082797

Beverly was 4-8 from the three line and all of his shots were three attempts. He added 9-9 from the foul line! Overall, the team had a strong effort against a strong conference opponent.

Ken

Big Big win. That got us to 6-6 in conference. With Duke being the toughest opponent left of the 6 games remaining, my hope would be to go 4-2, 3-3 at the worst. That gets us to 22-9/21-10 overall and 10-8/9-9 in conference. We should be dancing at that point without worry.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

I'm not positive .500 conference would do it with a loss to a really bad Weak team and a total WTF no-show against VaTech. Would need a win or 2 in the tournament to feel better about that. 10-8 should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nicholson View Post
    I'm not positive .500 conference would do it with a loss to a really bad Weak team and a total WTF no-show against VaTech. Would need a win or 2 in the tournament to feel better about that. 10-8 should do it.
    Not with the new matrix that the NCAA is using.

Coach Avent

Quote Originally Posted by Derreck View Post
    Not with the new matrix that the NCAA is using.
    I kinda agree with Matt on this. I would feel a lot better with at least a 10-8 record going into the ACC tournament. I realize we look better in the new matrix than the old RPI but the math is the same. Still the same number of automatic bids and at large teams and still a human committee who although will be using the new matrix will have human input that often leans towards the little darlings of the mid majors. Anything less than 4-2 the rest of the way would mean at least 1 bad loss, possibly at BC or Lord forbid home at Wake. If that happens I would not feel comfortable unless we are at least playing on semi-final Friday or better in the ACC tournament. Bottom line...Lets just take care of business!!

Yeah, going 3-3 the rest of the way requires us to lose a game to either BC (play twice) or Wake or GaTech. After the Wake and VaTech debacles, we simply cant afford another WTF loss to one of those. We don't have enough quality wins to overcome that. That is, at best IMO, last 4 in, maybe playing a 1st round game. 4-2 is needed, 5-1 we're in easily. Winning at FSU would be a good win.

Our OOC schedule was awful, despite the 4 P5 games. That will be held against us.

Thread Information