NC State closes out the regular season with a road win at BC. The Pack finishes eighth in the ACC regular season.

Thread: 3/2 Florida State

Default 3/2 Florida State

In a big matchup for the Pack, we travel to #18 FSU. Would be a big resume win if we can go on the road and knock off FSU.
    Last edited by Derreck; 26th February 2019 at 10:21.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Game on 2 March. It is an opportunity for the Pack to earn a huge road win and cement their NCAA resume. Bottom line is that if we make our open perimeter shots, we can win this game, and if we do not, then such a win would be highly doubtful. Markell Johnson is playing his game again, and that gives us a real chance in this one.

Ken

This would be our biggest win of the season IMO. I hate to use the term "must win" and we all feel we are in the dance if we take care of business against GT and BC on the road but I would feel a lot more at ease for the ACC tourney if we were at 11-7. The past 5 years there has been an ACC team with a 10-8 record left out of the dance. In 2013 Virginia was out with a 11-7 conference record. Our strength of schedule sucks. This would be a quality quadrant 1 win that we have not had this season. We have been playing good basketball the past few games. It is not a death nail if we lose at FSU however I do believe a win will all but punch our ticket in the dance if we take care of business at home against GT and the road game at BC will not matter that much.

Quote Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
    This would be our biggest win of the season IMO. I hate to use the term "must win" and we all feel we are in the dance if we take care of business against GT and BC on the road but I would feel a lot more at ease for the ACC tourney if we were at 11-7. The past 5 years there has been an ACC team with a 10-8 record left out of the dance. In 2013 Virginia was out with a 11-7 conference record. Our strength of schedule sucks. This would be a quality quadrant 1 win that we have not had this season. We have been playing good basketball the past few games. It is not a death nail if we lose at FSU however I do believe a win will all but punch our ticket in the dance if we take care of business at home against GT and the road game at BC will not matter that much.
    LSmith, maybe I am misreading what you are saying, but we have 2 Q1 wins as of right now.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Quote Originally Posted by Derreck View Post
    LSmith, maybe I am misreading what you are saying, but we have 2 Q1 wins as of right now.
    This is correct. Right now, we have a ranking of #35 in the tournament index. We are projected as a 10 seed in the tournament. Winning at FSU would solidify our selection, no doubt improving our seeding. But, we are solidly in the field barring a collapse to end the season.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Derreck View Post
    My bad. I meant a quality Q1 road win.

We were right there to steal this one, but sloppy ball control and missed free throws at the end kept it from happening. This team is really close to being top tier, but they have to learn to protect the rock. In this game, there were several cases of failure to put a vice grip on the ball once passed, plus passes that bounded out of bounds without much chance of being caught. That's sloppy attention to detail and it can be fixed, but the players have to decide to keep their eye on the ball and put a grip on it before trying to go up for the layup, plus make passes that are there vice trying to thread the needle when a higher percentage play is still available.

Ken

Thread Information