#13 NC State takes two of three on the road against #15 UNC to finish the regular season with 41 wins!

Thread: Spring Practice 2019

Default Spring Practice 2019

Spring Practice has started. Post updates here as you see them...
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Wow! Football already!

Ken

I will start with the position that will be most talked about, QB's. All 4 QB's looked good in the limited practice time that was open. Matt looked really good as did Devin. Both Hockman and Evans looked decent, but the issue they have right now is being behind both Matt and Devon in experience in the offense.

Right now, I would put Matt McKay as 1a, Devin Leary as 1b. Bailey Hockman as 2 and Ty Evans as 3.

Just my personal opinion, I think this will be a 3 horse race and Ty Evans will end up red shirting. Hockman can win the job but will need the spring to get up to speed.

Matt is a redshirt sophomore, Bailey Hockman is a redshirt sophomore, Devin Leary a redshirt freshman, and Ty Evans a true freshman. It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds through the season.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

IMO I feel Leary will be the starter against ECU. Really curious to see how the LB core shapes up. Got some good young talent there. Is Payton Wilson back to full strength?

For LB's Moore, Acceus, and Miller were the main 3.

Wilson has been cleared but the staff is taking it slow with him. He looked good and fluid, no limp or anything that was noticeable.

Coach Avent

The QB competition is down to 3, Matt, Devin, and Bailey. These three are getting reps with the 1st and 2nd team.

If I had to bet $$$, Matt will be the starter against ECU but Devin will defiantly get snaps. Devin has the best arm talent on the team IMO and when it all clicks for him it will be special.

Coach Avent

Watched some of the Spring game on ACC Net. Hard to judge the QBs with all 5 starters out on the O-line. All 3 threw some good balls. Looked like Thayer Thomas was the favorite "go to" receiver. Zonovan Knight is going to be special.

Lsmirh, word is the coaches are quietly optimistic about the upcoming season. It will be a rebuilding year of sorts (given the players drafted in the NFL recently what would you expect!), however, State should still make a bowl. But the coaches did say if this was a year that you wanted to get State, take it! Because, after next year State will be loaded and ready to compete for the top spot in the ACC, no joke. Look what the coaches have recruited the last two cycles. They deserve a lot of credit and praise for the phenomenal job on the recruiting trail.
    "The whole measuring of Vertical Leap began with David Thompson"- Michael Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Sparks View Post
    Lsmirh, word is the coaches are quietly optimistic about the upcoming season. It will be a rebuilding year of sorts (given the players drafted in the NFL recently what would you expect!), however, State should still make a bowl. But the coaches did say if this was a year that you wanted to get State, take it! Because, after next year State will be loaded and ready to compete for the top spot in the ACC, no joke. Look what the coaches have recruited the last two cycles. They deserve a lot of credit and praise for the phenomenal job on the recruiting trail.
    The you better get us this year is exactly what I heard. We are stacked, but young. The primary players for this years team will be younger but talented. You will see flashes and the you will see the inexperience. I still think 7 to 8 wins is doable for this year, but this team is building for 2020-2021. Those two years will be something to behold if we can stay healthy.

Coach Avent

Iíll say it plain. If Doeren and his staff can earn a bowl bid with this very young team, then heís done the best coaching job of his career at NC State.

Ken

Thread Information