NC State closes out the regular season with a road win at BC. The Pack finishes eighth in the ACC regular season.

Thread: @BC

Default @BC

Not sure how much a win at 14-15 BC will help but a loss will surely drive another nail in the coffin of our NCAA hopes. Need a win for positive MO going into the ACC tourney.

No doubt, the Pack has much more to lose than it can gain. But, ultimately, this is just a game.

Honestly, this team has made two big moves in my guess as to where it would wind up. First big shift was after coming close to beating Wisconsin on the road and then beating Auburn at home. I figured this team could win 25 or so games in the regular season and contend for the ACC title. That was significantly better than I thought they would fare given how many players from last season they lost. Then, things settled back to where I thought they would wind up at, and a 20 to 21 win regular season isn't bad. It would not have shocked me to see this team wind up with 16-18 wins either.

Ken

NC State followed up its home stinker with a determined road effort, and blitzed Boston College 73-47. It was a game where the Wolfpack built an early first half lead that it never relinquished.

The win earns the team a 21-10 (9-9 ACC) record. Is that by itself enough to earn an at large NCAA bid? If not, then the Pack has to beat an equally determined Clemson on noon on Wednesday in round two of the ACC Tournament. The Pack earns the eighth seed in the conference tournament.

Ken

Didn't help us much. But we avoided absolute catastrophe.

Need to win 1-2 in tourney to make it. And I mean barely make it.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nicholson View Post
    Didn't help us much. But we avoided absolute catastrophe.

Need to win 1-2 in tourney to make it. And I mean barely make it.
    I'm really starting to think you think we'd barely make it if we won the ACC Tournament.

Matt, do you really think 23 wins and an 11-9 ACC finish would barely get an at large berth in the NCAA Tournament?

Prior to the win at BC, we were projected to be a 12 seed in the Dance. Winning at BC did not hurt that projection, but likely did not improve it either. The loss against Georgia Tech dropped us from a projected 10 seed to a 12 seed.

It's possible that losing in the second round to Clemson would put us out of the Dance, possible, but not likely. The ACC is by far the strongest conference in the nation this season. I easily see the ACC getting eight berths in the Dance, and us being one of those eight.

Beating BC was what is termed a Quad 2 road win, and those carry weight in the NET. The Selection Committee is supposed to use this index and not the RPI.

This is the NET rankings, and we were #32 prior to the BC game:

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...l-net-rankings

My guess is that nine ACC teams receive a bid to the NCAA Tournament, meaning that Clemson, Syracuse,and NC State end up rounding out the at large field.

Ken

They call it March Madness for a reason. There is no doubt it could swing either way on selection Sunday. Win the tourney and leave no doubt.

Thread Information