NC State closes out the regular season with a road win at BC. The Pack finishes eighth in the ACC regular season.

Thread: Gottfried's and Smith's Legacy

Default Gottfried's and Smith's Legacy

The legacy that Mark Gottfried and Dennis Smith, Jr. have earned for themselves at NC State is hardship, sanctions, and setback. For Gottfried, he may even face federal charges!

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...inked-payments

As this article reports, Mark Gottfried may be the first head coach directly linked to illegal payments to players, in his case made to Dennis Smith, Jr. Though the initial phases of the federal investigation have not ensnared former Wolfpack assistant coach Orlando Early, the information that continues to come from sources in the investigation indicate that Early was a payment funnel to Smith's father. That funnel now seems to have started with Mark Gottfried, went to Early, who then paid Smith's trainer. The trainer, Shawn Farmer, then provided the money to Smith's father.

The evidence is mounting that Dennis Smith, Jr. signed his LOI and played one year for NC State only as a result of being paid for his services. As has been pointed out, Smith's services at NC State represented a sub-par season where NC State disappointingly failed to reach any postseason tournaments, and finished with a losing record. Now, after Gottfried was fired, his staff mostly dismissed, and Smith playing in the NBA, the results of the investigation will certainly lead to rounds of NCAA sanctions against NC State for having paid a player to sign and play.

Dennis Smith, Jr.'s one year with NC State violated the letter and spirit of amateur athletics. He used NC State as nothing more than a one-year farm program for the NBA, and in the process exchanged his services for money, caring nothing for education or the college experience. Goodbye Dennis Smith, may the memory of you fade away before long!

We can't even cheat correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nicholson View Post
    We can't even cheat correctly.
    I'd prefer we never turn pro in that area!

Ken

I am hoping with all the good that Yow has done that her biggest legacy is getting us out of this shit with minimum damage via her cooperation so far. So far all the FBI has proven is Smith was an ineligible player during his one season with the Pack. We can certainly count on that we will have to vacate all victories that season once the NCAA comes down on us which I am certain we can all agree that is no big deal. If it is proven via the NCAA that an assistant coach was involved, Orlando Early, in distributing those funds it is a very bad thing. If it is proven that a head coach was involved it is a very, very, very, very, bad thing. So far I have not seen any real proof that a coach has been involved other than the fact that Early is now talking and pointing the finger back at Gottfried which is not good. As far as Gottfried we are only talking about an envelope. Could have been a "Happy Valentines Card" in the envelope. Yea I know, wishful thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
    I am hoping with all the good that Yow has done that her biggest legacy is getting us out of this shit with minimum damage via her cooperation so far. So far all the FBI has proven is Smith was an ineligible player during his one season with the Pack. We can certainly count on that we will have to vacate all victories that season once the NCAA comes down on us which I am certain we can all agree that is no big deal. If it is proven via the NCAA that an assistant coach was involved, Orlando Early, in distributing those funds it is a very bad thing. If it is proven that a head coach was involved it is a very, very, very, very, bad thing. So far I have not seen any real proof that a coach has been involved other than the fact that Early is now talking and pointing the finger back at Gottfried which is not good. As far as Gottfried we are only talking about an envelope. Could have been a "Happy Valentines Card" in the envelope. Yea I know, wishful thinking.
    I know what you are saying, and it would be a legal defense in a criminal trial, and one a competent defense attorney would make. But, all indications are that Early got roped into this and didn't like it one bit. I think he's turning state's evidence against Gottfried, and if I were him I would also. The statement that Early is making that Gott complained about having to provide the money and that he would turn to Adidas to get more of it, that's the incriminating part. Combine with the conviction of the Adidas representative in seeding such money, and the case against Gottfried is powerful.

Amorality is a cumulative thing. It is rare that someone would abandon morality in one important area but remain pure in all others. My point is that we know Gottfried cheated on his wife at Alabama and did it again at NC State, and that he has been repeatedly accused by those in the system of chasing co-ed's on the campus where he coached. That's a significant violation of moral codes, and he is believed to have done it at Alabama and then at NC State when he got the proverbial second chance. This is why I was shocked that Cal State Northridge hired him as their head coach.

The big difference between an agent or apparel company executive giving Smith money, vice a member of the coaching staff is, of course, the dreaded "lack of institutional control" sanction! The former would likely have ended up vacating wins from a bitter losing season. The other could represent loss of scholarships and/or sanction from post season participation. Right now, I think we will receive some sanction on that level due to Gottfried being found to have sourced the illegal payments.

The NCAA needs to get control of this, and while we won't be alone in the quagmire, miserable company doesn't mitigate it much.

Ken

Iíd lawyer up and deny deny deny. The Cheats did this and got off Scott free. I lost all respect for the NCAA as a governing body when they failed to do anything substantive in the face of obvious violations by the Cheats. Theyíve not been required to pull any banners down or vacate wins when ineligible players played for them. Eff the NCAA.
    "The whole measuring of Vertical Leap began with David Thompson"- Michael Jordan

I cannot defend the NCAA, and so this is no attempt at it. That said, the NCAA had no bylaws regarding the quality of classes because they never thought they needed to. UNC created phony classes totally lacking in academic rigor and their lawyers determined ahead of time that the NCAA lacked the regulatory authority to sanction UNC for doing it. Prior to all this, a school could create a degree in basketball and count practice as meeting academic requirements.

The risk UNC made was in losing their academic certification. They relied upon the academic standards in other degree programs to keep that from happening.

In short, UNC professionalized academic cheating to keep varsity athletes eligible. They rendered the NCAA neutered by crafting classes where students could effectively do nothing to earn passing grades. The students didnít have to cheat to pass, and could retain academic eligibility by taking them. Thus, UNC bypassed all NCAA enforceable standards.

Thatís UNCís lasting self-imposed legacy!

Ken

Honestly this reeks of Early covering his own skin. The only thing pointing to Gott is Early. There is no testimony anywhere other than Early tying Gott to anything. And the Adidas cash man who just went to jail said he gave the money to Early, not Gott.

Either way, the good news is neither is currently employed by State now unlike the other schools being named. There have been 15 or so schools already named with 15 or so more coming with a total close to potentially 40 to 50 school implicated. Will the NCAA penalize 40 to 50 schools?
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Thread Information