Basketball season ends as NC State loses to Iowa in the NCAA Sweet16

Thread: NIT

Default NIT

There will be a lot of discussion on our dance snub and I feel we need to discuss it but we do have more basketball to play. First up is Hofstra on Tuesday. One common opponent is Mt St Mary. We beat them by 50 our 1rst game and they beat them by 18 the very next game. Like our chances. Win that and we could host Georgetown with Yertseven back in Raleigh on the bench in street clothes. I assume Tuesday's game will be in Reynolds as the Canes has home game that evening.

Well, if I were Kevin Keatts, I would tell the team to lay a full dose of angry on each opponent, and give the NCAA the finger. Iíd even have t-shirts made with that theme!

Ken

While I am not happy about the snub, I can see why we didn't get in. 9-9 in the ACC just won't cut it. I think what really did us in though was the non- conference schedule. The committee has said for years that they would be looking at that harder. That being said, I thought that would eventually catch up to us and it has. I don't blame Kevin for this, cause schedules are made about 7 years in advance but, I now hope we understand that we have to play people.

I mean we have to play Kansas in Lawrence, Michigan State in Lansing, UCLA in Pauley. It doesn't mater if we win but we have to beef up that non-conference schedule. That is the only way we can avoid snubs going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by gjones1968 View Post
    While I am not happy about the snub, I can see why we didn't get in. 9-9 in the ACC just won't cut it. I think what really did us in though was the non- conference schedule. The committee has said for years that they would be looking at that harder. That being said, I thought that would eventually catch up to us and it has. I don't blame Kevin for this, cause schedules are made about 7 years in advance but, I now hope we understand that we have to play people.

I mean we have to play Kansas in Lawrence, Michigan State in Lansing, UCLA in Pauley. It doesn't mater if we win but we have to beef up that non-conference schedule. That is the only way we can avoid snubs going forward.
    Again, in years past the RPI was used and that strongly measured non-conference SoS. We played 12 quad one games this year. Do you really think that we didn't "play people!"

We played 33 games in the regular season, including the conference tournament. Twelve of those opponents were quad one teams -- those teams deemed by all the metrics to be the elite level of competition. That was more than one third of all of our games. Beyond that, we were 9-0 against quad two teams. So, our schedule played 21 of 33 opponents in the two highest quads of merit evaluation.

I am sick and tired of the media's self-serving obsession on just non-conference strength of schedule!

What you are saying is that we have to schedule 30 quad one opponents to avoid being snubbed. You know what happens as a result of that? A team totally worn down to the point of injury and exhaustion as a result of that. I'm sure the mid-major teams, who play an average of five quad one opponents each year, would love that! They would then get all the money! I'd love to see these mid-major teams routinely play a third of their schedule against quad one teams. Let's see them endure that kind of day-after-day grind and see how they fare. Then, we can finally have a fair evaluation of merit.

Ken

If 9-9 in the ACC does not cut it why do losing records in the Big Ten and Big East does? I understamd strength of OOC but we played more ranked teams than St John and we finished .500 in a much tougher conference. They got blown off the court by Duke. We did not.

What really hurt us was Auburn and Oregon. We may have beaten Auburn but they won their conference tournament and took it out of the committee's hands. Same thing with Oregon. I think we got in last year because we beat Arizona, Duke and Carolina. Had we done something similar to that this year, we might be in the big tourney right now. In any case, we are in the NIT and there is only one thing to do. Take all the anger and frustration all the way to MSG and win the whole thing.

What really hurt us was Auburn and Oregon. We may have beaten Auburn but they won their conference tournament and took it out of the committee's hands. Same thing with Oregon. I think we got in last year because we beat Arizona, Duke and Carolina. Had we done something similar to that this year, we might be in the big tourney right now. In any case, we are in the NIT and there is only one thing to do. Take all the anger and frustration all the way to MSG and win the whole thing.
    That stuff the media is quoting is just fig leafs the committee floated. The committee did not even have Clemson, nor us, as one of the first four out. So, they ignored the NET and gave the a bunch of excuses why they did.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    That stuff the media is quoting is just fig leafs the committee floated. The committee did not even have Clemson, nor us, as one of the first four out. So, they ignored the NET and gave the a bunch of excuses why they did.

Ken
    Yea and basically not even being one of the 1rst 4 out means we were pre-determined that our resume' would not be considered. Their minds were made up based on distribution of funds to conferences to make everybody as happy as possible. In the real world when a qualified resume' (qualified based on the NET the NCAA said they would use) is not considered it can be construed as discrimination. David Glenn said it best today even if he did not mean to say it that way but he said a small fish (like UNCG) better have at least one quality win and they did not. A big fish (like NC State in a power 5) better have more than 1 quality win (Auburn) to get into the dance. That is a double standard. I am ok with auto bids from every conference. After that the "at large" bids should be the best teams left in college basketball. The selection committee fails every season at this and especially this season.

The other thing I have been pissed about today is the trashing of Debbie Yow in mostly social media but some main stream media on her defending us and expressing her disappointment in the way the selection committee handled things as far as excluding the NET. That is part of her job as an AD is to go to bat for us and she has always done that, right or wrong, and I believe she is completely right in this. I will admit that I have not always been a big fan of Yow (more a fan the past few years than when she started) but she has always gone to bat for the Pack and stuck her neck out in every controversy. As a female AD she has more balls than most male ADs and that is what I like about her.

Outstanding posts, LSmith!

Look, if the NCAA had the stones to tell the Power 5 conferences back in August of 2018 that they would continue to use the RPI, then I would accept us being outside the Dance. But, the NCAA didnít have the guts to tell the truth because it risked a revolt of the major conferences to form their own tournament. Purely to chase the money, the number of Division 1 basketball teams exploded.

What does a fair system look like to me?

You stack all the automatic bid teams seeded as their NET would indicate.

Then, the 34 at large teams are selected in strict order with the NET rankings among those teams not in with automatic bids. Everyone would know the criteria, make their schedules accordingly, and know their fate before the announcements are formally made.

No intrigue, no conference politics, no fig leafs used to mask selfish money grabs for aligned conferences.

You know, it might even make for a better field of teams!

Ken

Thread Information