The 2018-19 athletic season has concluded for NC State. Football starts in two months! See you then!

Thread: No excuse for sexism, or racism

Default No excuse for sexism, or racism

Long ago, I chose to live my life with a philosophy that vigorously defends meritocracy, devoid of racism and sexism. Frankly, it’s easy to do, and deserves no special notice when done. The sad truth is that such a philosophy is almost alien in our society today only because so many peddle the falsehood of victimization culture. This is a threadbare fig leaf, trying in vain to mask the evils of people who favor or disfavor people due to their race, gender, or other entirely unimportant considerations.

Notre Dame head coach Muffet McGraw was asked last week by a reporter at a press conference if she “would ever hire another male coach on her staff.” Barely was the question uttered before McGraw replied, “Never!”

Nearly the entire media universe praised McGraw for her social justice warrior stance. Despite significant search, as of this weekend, I could only find one writer of an obscure online publication who called McGraw out for blatant sexism.

Well, this website will join that minority chorus!

For all the media subterfuge and fawning cheerleading, McGraw is nothing more than Al Campanis at a younger age and with longer hair! Campanis had the media destroy his career, and forced MLB to engage in major league damage control after the Dodgers executive tried to justify why so few blacks had been hired to front office baseball jobs.

Campanis’ basic problem is that MLB was desegregated generations before his infamous Nightline interview. Moreover, for generations before Jackie Robinson, black men had built Negro League baseball teams that were often the better of many MLB teams of that era. So, clearly there were black men, who on merit alone, deserved MLB front office jobs.

McGraw doesn’t benefit from those facts. The reason that there are male coaches in women’s college basketball is because Title IX did not until recently expand the opportunities for women to gain the expertise to compete on merit with men who enjoyed decades of previous experience. These male coaches taught the game to women like McGraw, who can now use that expertise to achieve great results.

If women come to dominate women’s basketball coaching based upon pure merit, then that’s an ideal result. But, merit is entirely absent in McGraw’s current consideration matrix, and gender seems to be her most important consideration.

That is gender discrimination, and it’s just as twisted and wrong as when highly qualified blacks were denied opportunities because race was considered an accepted and even normal consideration!

Discrimination is discrimination, and the media cannot get away with gross hypocrisy. True social justice, unlike today’s version falsely claimed, is founded upon the bedrock principle of objective meritocracy, not upon using evil to right previous evil! It’s well past time our society figure that fact out. And step one in figuring that out is summoning the moral courage to call out bigots and sexists whenever they are found.

Ken Stallings
    Owner, Wolfpack Forums
    Last edited by Ken Stallings; 8th April 2019 at 09:51.

I am not sure what your point is that women were not coaching in women's college basketball until recently. Pat Summitt and Kay Yow were both hired in 1974. I am sure they were not the only women coaches hired 45 years ago, when NCAA women's basketball was starting out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Gene Vane View Post
    I am not sure what your point is that women were not coaching in women's college basketball until recently. Pat Summitt and Kay Yow were both hired in 1974. I am sure they were not the only women coaches hired 45 years ago, when NCAA women's basketball was starting out.
    The point is that the corps of experienced college coaches were mainly men at the time they were hired, which is why both of these women are hall of famers and legendary in coaching circles. They pioneered a trail for other women to follow. However, at that time, if you wanted to hire the most qualified candidate for a head coaching position, the odds were heavy that you would have to hire a man. The good news is that has changed as women have gained the experience and their numbers in coaching have increased accordingly.

We cannot go back and amend the near dominance of men in the basketball game when it was first invented and developed into a college and then professional sport. But, the initial cadre of men hired were the ones who prepared women to not only be outstanding players, but outstanding coaching candidates. But, that takes time. The WNBA was only founded in the spring of 1996, just over 20 years ago. This was concurrent with women's college basketball finally hitting its stride in being a revenue generating sport and enjoying the full range of support.

Remember back when Kay Yow was hired. It was considered highly controversial at the time since she had very little experience as a high school teacher who also coached the women's high school basketball team. Willis Casey took a lot of heat when he hired Yow in 1975. It should also be remembered that Yow was NC State's first women's basketball head coach. This all followed the same pattern of the hire of Everrett Case, who was a high school basketball coach. Yet, both reached the hall of fame and yet both were highly controversial hires at the time. It should be added that Yow formed the program and Case inherited a very weak program.

Finally, nowhere did I write saying that women coached college basketball only recently. I wrote that Title IX only recently expanded those opportunities. Remember, you can only hire coaches for whom you receive the budget to hire!

Ken

Thread Information