The Wolfpack kicks off the 2019 season hosting East Carolina, 31 Aug @ 12:00 eastern, broadcast on the ACC Network.

Thread: Transgender infiltration of women's athletics

Default Transgender infiltration of women's athletics

When the desire to win erodes basic moral principles, then this is the sort of situation we find ourselves in.

https://www.espn.com/high-school/sto...track-athletes

Title IX was a long overdue and very welcome effort to establish a level playing field for women to compete in college athletics. Until Title IX, it was normally a situation where athletic budgets were skewed so much that the basic opportunity for women to compete in intercollegiate athletics was stymied. Let's dismiss all false pretense that would argue that men and women can compete equally against each other in most college sports. That is a fanciful argument that runs counter to all common sense.

The problem now is that throughout many high schools, a refusal to stand up for common sense reality has allowed many high school districts to box themselves into a corner. A refusal to acknowledge even the most basic of gender differences has allowed certain unprincipled people to claim transgender status to allow boys to enter into athletic competitions against girls. The economic and social impacts are now significant. This lawsuit is a natural development from girls who feel, quite rightly I think, that their economic and social opportunities are being artificially infringed.

I think that as a society we have to summon back the basic courage to tell the plain truth. Part of those truths is that Jimmy ain't Jean! And the longer we refuse to summon that courage for truth, the greater the actual damage we cause to innocent peoples' lives and futures.

Ken

Where would hermaphrodites fall?

Quote Originally Posted by packinjax View Post
    Where would hermaphrodites fall?
    That too has become a real issue. Testosterone issues rise to the forefront as multiple rules in place would prevent the artificial increase in such hormone levels and yet one Olympic athlete claims that such levels are natural. That case is ongoing and has already created great controversy. Yet, we are dealing with just one athlete who has made this an issue.

Overall, it comes down to whether we want women to have a platform to compete and perform in sports. I certainly do. And yet, what these women are complaining about in court is that their opportunity has been taken away from them by allowing men to compete against them in sports that are regulated to be among women only. They have a powerful case provided as a society we are willing to elevate common sense above politics in our evaluations. Science is more than capable of creating all sorts of confusing situations that would blur the gender lines in ways that would give certain individuals competitive advantages that would neutralize any chance of a woman to compete fairly. Back in the days when I was a very low-level competitive swimmer, I remember how the East German women's swim teams dominated Olympic competition. Looking at those women swimmers, they looked like men. They were artificial creations of science, literal freaks, who's lives, shortly after the Olympic glory ended, descending into hell, as they suffered terrible physical ailments and early deaths from their extreme use of hormone treatments.

Ultimately, as a society, we decided to crack down on that cheating and end it. Since we have restored competitive balance, women from many different nations now can achieve success at the Olympic levels without having to torture their bodies in ways that cause chronic harm. Sports are supposed to benefit life, not trade glory for short life spans. What we run serious risk of now is allowing men to declare themselves to be women, and use that self-identification to create precisely the unfair situation that medical science artificially created in the corrupt 1980's Olympic sports days.

And ultimately, I don't think giving men an avenue to compete against women in physical sports competition is fair to men or women. Ultimately, if we allowed that, it would quickly destroy women sports on a competitive level. Except for a handful of sports, there just wouldn't be any women competing at all. This is where sports such as race car driving and rifle emerge as truly co-gender competition. The NC State rifle team is co-ed because genders can compete fairly.

Common sense goes a long way on this, and we should refuse to concede to the narrow-minded pressure and continue to exercise it. If we took a WNBA team and had them compete again male teams, they would be hard pressed to beat some high school teams. I doubt they would win many games in Division I college conferences. In the past, some people used that reality to argue that women had no place in competitive sports. People would ridicule the idea of women organizing to play sports. But, frankly, in many respects I enjoy the women's basketball game more because while the men's game has become focused on individual athleticism, the women's game continues to feature team oriented play.

By giving women a fair platform to compete, we have learned that women's sports can be vibrant and interesting, plus form the same team bonds and values that men's sports have done. I think there is great value in that, but if we don't keep the genders distinct in these competitions, we will render the participation of women perfunctory. Think professional tennis with men and women competing against each other. No woman is ranked in the top 100. Would women even bother to sacrifice to become professional players? But, again, many people prefer to watch the women's professional tennis game because it features longer rallies.

Distinction in the genders isn't a vice or a weakness. Properly organized, the genders competing in sports against each other provide wholesome competition and allows men and women to enjoy sports equally. I think that is a noble goal worth protecting.

Ken

Thread Information