The 2018-19 athletic season has concluded for NC State. Football starts in two months! See you then!

Thread: NCAA notifies NC State of violations

Default NCAA notifies NC State of violations

Hot off the press.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...elated-charges

Two level one charges, including lack of monitoring by Mark Gottfried, plus accusations that Orlando Early funneled payments to Dennis Smith. One level two charge for a parking pass.

It is serious.

Ken

I'm serious.

If we do not meet anything above and beyond vacating 15 wins from a meaningless season with anything less than the full force of a legal dream team, I will be PISSED!

The ESPN article listed is factually incorrect. The Level 1 allegations were directed at the coaches, Early and Gott. The allegations that were alleged against NC State were Level 2.

From Pate Forde

https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-hits-n...220117755.html

"In addition to being a problem for NC State, the charges specifically related to former coach Mark Gottfried — now the head coach at Cal State Northridge — could jeopardize his current standing at that school. Gottfried is charged with violating head coach responsibility legislation, specifically a failure to monitor his program and promote an atmosphere of compliance.

In broader terms, this also could signal an effort by the NCAA to pin responsibility on those who have proven to be the most evasive of targets in cheating scandals — the head coaches.

Former Wolfpack assistant Orlando Early, who was on Gottfried's staff, also was charged with a Level I violation."

Reading the actual NOA, the Level 1 charges wording indicate that the coaches seem to be the target of the NCAA, not necessarily State. The biggest issue for State to me is the Level 2 violation with the tickets. We were hit with failure to monitor and this falls back to compliance. Meeghan Ford was the Assistant AD for compliance from 2012-2018. She left State in January for a compliance position at Duke (her alma mater). It was Ford's job to monitor the passes and player list. Had she noticed the ticket/ pass issue and we self reported it would have been a level 4 infraction and we likely would not have even been punished. But because the NCAA caught it then it is a level 2 infraction.

Good news. Literally everyone mentioned in the NOA is no longer employed by State. Also the NOA consistently appears to tie the payment to DSJ to Gott/Early. We have also retained the services of Law Firm Bond Schoeneck & King, who represented UNC during their NCAA problems.

We have 60-90 days to respond to the NOA, then the NCAA has like 30-60 days to respond to our response and set a hearing date.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

All I got to say is lawyer up! The Cheats essentially got away with institutionalized cheating with little to no consequences for decades, not years. If we don’t fight this tooth and nail, I will start pulling for another team, alma mater be damned.
    "The whole measuring of Vertical Leap began with David Thompson"- Michael Jordan

"You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

The consensus view of most sports analysts is that NC State is looking at a fine and vacation of the 15 wins from Smith’s lone season. Had we won any titles, then those would have been vacated also since the NCAA has ruled Smith ineligible for the entire season, in retrospect.

Most people think the wording of the NOA points the strong finger at Gottfried and Early. Like I questioned Gott’s hire by Cal State Northridge within a month of us firing him is being roundly criticized now that the school will likely face a Show Cause stipulation to retain him.

Gott ended up screwing himself in ways beyond even what we initially saw! He may have also killed Early’s career!

Ken

Early should get a show-cause. Gottfried should be suspended if not fired outright.

Some writers are saying at least 5 or 6 other schools will also be getting NOAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nicholson View Post
    Early should get a show-cause. Gottfried should be suspended if not fired outright.

Some writers are saying at least 5 or 6 other schools will also be getting NOAs.
    Likely twice that number. NC State is the first because NC State was the school that cooperated the most with the NCAA and law enforcement. Consequently, the NCAA felt their case against "us" was the clearest and most straight forward.

I agree that the lion's share of this scandal insofar as NC State is concerned is Smith, Early, and Gottfried. It should not be lost upon anyone that the people who "get away" with this stuff the most are the players. They receive the impermissible benefits and then leave the school before the NCAA manages to investigate and hand down punishments that hurt players who never benefited one iota.

Ken

Thread Information