Defense and special teams carry the Wolfpack to a 34-23 home victory against Ball State.

Thread: ECU

Default ECU

Its game week!

Pack kicks off the season with a game against the Pirates. Lets take care of business!
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

This game wonít be the 58-3 blowout it was last year. Having said that, I donít see that Pirates winning this one. Despite the losses weíve had to graduation and early departures, State should win this contest by 2 touchdowns.

Iím going with a 38-17 Wolfpack in the end.

Letís beat some Pie-rats.
    "The whole measuring of Vertical Leap began with David Thompson"- Michael Jordan

Yea I expect a totally different game this year. Their coach Houston played us very tough last year in the opener with a lesser talented James Madison team. ECU's starting QB and several key receivers that we will face Saturday did not play in that blow out last season. And then there is the extra motivation of Doreen calling time out to ice their kicker at the end of the game last season. We will have to win the LOS battle and hopefully have out conditioned them during the off season to win this game.

McKay names starter for ECU.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

ECU fumbled their way out of an opening drive touchdown, and then Matt McKay showed tremendous poise and talent in guiding the offense down the field for a touchdown. First impressions on McKay confirms what nearly everyone said about him in scrimmage -- that's he is ready to excel.

ECU has a good offense, and they showed it.

I hope our defense is better able to handle the ECU spread offense their second time around. The first time, it didn't look ready.

Ken

I like the updated targeting rule, that forces a confirmation of the call. It seems to me to be a good balance between taking the head out of the game and not unrfairly penalizing the player. I think a lot of flags will be thrown, and many overturned. But, I think that's the whole point. If there is doubt, the on field officials will throw the flag, and then detailed review will ultimately decide.

Ken

People are going to see this score and yawn, but ECU is a better football team than this score is going to indicate, and in the first quarter, they played tough and got very unlucky several times, both in losing a fumble in the endzone, and by failing to recover two fumbles we made. You flip those three plays and ECU had a real opportunity to grab an early lead in this game.

I am happy by what I saw today given the inexperience of this team.

In terms of rebuild looks, this is the best situation I have seen for NC State ever. It looks like it might be more of a reload vice a rebuild, and that's how you want it to be. Next week's game versus Western Carolina will be our final tune up, and then the schedule gets very challenging.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...meId=401112432

Ken

Only got to see the 1rst quarter because of work today and was really concern about our D on that 1rst drive by ECU but really a heck of a day by the D given up only 41 yards rushing which has become a Huxtable trademark the past few seasons. Great start for McKay with 300 plus passing. I also thought the O-line looked very good on what I saw in the 1rst quarter and apparently had a good game with the Pack rushing close to 200 yards by committee.

The D was very vanilla this game (as was the O) and it took a couple of offensive series for the D to adjust to the changes the coaching staff at ECU made with the personal they have at ECU vs. JMU. ECU's first drive was 75 yards. After that the longest drive was 38 until the final drive where ECU had 61. ECU had 7 drives of 20 yards or less, Of those 7, 5 of the drives were for 5 yards or less.

Coach Avent

Thread Information