Defense and special teams carry the Wolfpack to a 34-23 home victory against Ball State.

Thread: WCU

Default WCU

Lets get the timing down and experience under our belt during this game.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Encourage the team to avoid reading the positive press from the ECU game and focus on this one upcoming!

Ken

The tune up is over. Next week, the challenges begin.

Ken

Had a sideline pass for today's game. Had some concern with McKay after watching game last week and really not sold on him seeing him at field level today. Consistently overthrowing receivers and really concern on his progressions and ability to see the field. There were wide open receivers not seen on almost every play. Angeline was wide open on the post on a few occasions without a defender within 10 feet of him and I believe McKay was the only one in the stadium who did not see him. He is going to have to get a lot more crisp to have success against good defenses. We did not really get a good look at Hockman today because of Doeren's conservative play calling not wanting to run the score up anymore when he was in.

WCU was without their starting QB Adams today who is also their leading rusher for disciplinary reasons so not surprised on the shut out but holding them to only 8 yards rushing was impressive. Pack D has only allowed a total of 49 yards rushing in 2 games.

It was ugly in the first quarter but the team settled down.

I am not as concerned about McKay as others. Only game experience with film review will help with that. Heck Big Ben was overthrowing wide open receivers last night. It happens, just be a bit patient. I will say that McKay looked his best in the hurry up offense.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

It's not as worrisome to overthrow receivers when you have a track record/history. Without that history, it's more worrisome. Especially when I watched the UNC vs USC game and their UNCs QB was dropping the ball in on a dime.

But like you said, it's early.

Its not like McKay did not drop dimes, he did. He made some throws that were spot on and difficult. The TD to TE in the end zone for one. That shows me he has the ability and can. He has also done it consistently in practice. Now it is getting it to translate, which most QB's struggle with. Jacoby did quite a bit his first year as a starter here. His career turned out quite well I would say. And dont forget McKay is quite young for a RS sophomore. I think he is still only 18.

Coach Avent

The Pack took care of business despite the sluggish 1st Quarter start.

IMO the play calling against WCU was dictated more by the fact they couldnít stop the run at all vs. State not being able to throw the ball. Having said that, theyíre going to have to find ways to move the ball through the air vertically once competition ramps up in ACC play and next Saturday. Also, 3rd down conversions are really alarming at this point. The competition is only going to get tougher and the ability of the offense to extend drives is only going to become more and more crucial.

On Defense, wow just wow, theyíre really pinning their ears back and going after the opposing team. Just keep it up.

Overall, I donít think we know anymore about how the 2019 Version of Wolfpack football will play out. Both ECU and WCU were overmatched by the talent State has amassed. I donít feel like Iíve seen enough to give an overall final record of 7-5 for the season. 8 wins is a possibility but McKay will have to do better at completing the intermediate and long passes. Also, 3rd down conversions has to improve. Do that and I really like the guys in red chances.
    "The whole measuring of Vertical Leap began with David Thompson"- Michael Jordan

Thread Information