Defense and special teams carry the Wolfpack to a 34-23 home victory against Ball State.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: @WVU

Default @WVU

We are about to find out where the Pack is as a team.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Yes, yes, yes Derreck. WVU looks to be down this year given the 2 game sample, but State hasnít really proved much against two overmatched opponents. Gotta be able to convert 3rd downs and extend drives to win this one. Thatís about it.
    "The whole measuring of Vertical Leap began with David Thompson"- Michael Jordan

This game is being somewhat buried in advertising as it is being broadcast on Fox Sports 1.

Game time is noon Saturday. I know that DirecTV carried FS1, but I have no idea how your various cable providers might list it.

Ken

It's almost time to start.

Keys to the game:

Offense:
    1. Start quick, get up by a couple of scores and take the Mountaineers team and fans out for the game.
    2. Extend drives, CONVERT 3rd downs!!!!
    3. Continue to keep the pocket clean and run the damn ball well.

Defense:
    1. Keep doing what's been working the last couple of games.
    2. Dominate the LOS. WVU's O-line is bad. Get after them and live in the backfield.
    3. Limit big plays.

Special Teams:
    1. Better kick coverage and better kick offs. Nothing out of bounds.

Overall, State is in a better place the WVU is now. They're in the process of a rebuild and we've come out of the gate quicker than I though we would. Keep things up and I predicts W.

Oh and State wins 31-17
    "The whole measuring of Vertical Leap began with David Thompson"- Michael Jordan

I seriously wonder if the West Virginia defenders took drugs before this game!

They are playing like crazed lunatics, complete with personal foul penalties on our first two offensive series, and the second one just now is going to get the WVU player ejected from the game.

Not only was his hit egregiously late, but helmet to helmet and #4 was thrown out of the game.

The entire WVU team is hyped up, which is normally a very good thing. But, they are playing on perhaps too high an emotional level which may burn itself out.

Ken

And now the third series of flags get thrown for a late hit on McKay. It was called targeting, and is under review.

The targeting was waived off this time, but it was a very close margin, and really should have been confirmed. Still, unnecessary roughness was called.

Ken

On the other hand, I am very concerned about how WVU's offensive line is dominating this game right now, and that strength factor rarely wears out as the game goes on. WVU is gashing our defense for huge run gains, and it all is because of the dominance of our front seven by their front six. Combine that with some excellent speed options on sweep options, and it's a killer. They aren't so much running misdirection as they are just sealing the edge on these sweeps and setting up outstanding running lanes. Right now, their offensive line can open up holes inside and outside, and that has to be solved or this is going to be a very long day.

Ken

That was the worst special teams punt blocking I have ever seen. Never before have I seen a defender be able to come up the middle without anyone standing in his way, much less actually block him. Without any opposition provided, the WVU rusher actually had to pull up to WAIT for our punter to go into his kicking motion! In hindsight, he could have just tackled our punter nearly coincidental to him receiving the snap! Regardless, it wasn't so much a punt block as it was a punt smother!

Giving WVU the ball in the red zone may have been the back breaker in this game. Whatever the blocking scheme was supposed to be, that was an epic failure!

Ken

Our players are slower than the WVA players. WVA has been awful, in the first two games. We are making them look like world beaters.

I have doubts, if we will be bowl eligible this year. We'll need some lucky breaks to beat ACC teams. If this game is any indication, we do not have the coaching or personnel to beat anyone, without help.

Well, we were flat outplayed in this one.

McKay is continuing to overthrow his receivers who have beaten defenders on go routes. Having a powerful arm isn't helpful if you don't have the touch to drop it in the basket, and McKay isn't even close on these routes. Consistently, he is overthrowing the ball by 5-10 yards. It was said he was the most accurate passer in spring scrimmage, so I have to wonder if he's putting the same force on the passes in practice as he is game time. I wondered if he unconsciously amped up during the game, and was hoping he would settle down after a few game and correct that, but not so far.

What today's result says is as much about ECU and WCU as it does about NC State. There are no more cupcakes on our schedule and several high quality opponents.

We got a true road test today, and frankly we didn't pass it!

Ken

Thread Information