NC State defeats Syracuse 16-10 at home to improve to 4-2 (1-1 ACC).

Thread: Ball State

Default Ball State

Time to rebound.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Game time is 19:00 eastern, broadcast on ESPN-U.

And yes, it is time for the team to rebound and correct the mistakes that allowed West Virginia to come back and win last week's game.

Ken

In the second half, defense and special teams carried this team to victory. A punt return for a touchdown and a blocked punt that was run back to the five are the two special teams plays, and the defense did the rest, with the most critical defensive play being the pick in the end zone to snuff out what might have been a late Cardinal rally.

Frankly, at this point, my vote would be for Bailey Hockman to get the next start and let's see what he can do. Despite Matt McKay running for two Wolfpack touchdowns in this game, to beat quality opponents, the quarterback has to possess a potent throwing threat, and McKay just keeps missing open receivers, nearly every time by overthrowing them. Eventually, a safety is going to play deep and make an easy interception on those overthrows down the middle. I'm shocked it hasn't already happened.

When McKay can throw on a line for ten to fifteen yards, then he's good. But, when he has to throw over the linebackers, he just lacks the touch to time the throw as well as the touch to get it to drop in vicinity of the open receiver, and the longer the attempt, the worse this limitation reveals itself. Throughout the third quarter and for most of the fourth quarter, Ball State had nearly all the time of possession and I was seeing the defense start to crack a bit due entirely to fatigue. The punt block changed the dynamic, but the offense still did not sustain a drive the rest of the game. The total yards in the second half late in the game was 134 for Ball State and just 27 for NC State! That has to be fixed, now!

Without those special teams plays, I think we lose this game at home, and that would have set the dumpsters on fire! I give Doeren a lot of credit for frank honesty. Asked immediately after the game what he learned about his team, he led the reply off with, "We've got a lot of work to do!"

Ken

Is it my imagination or are we just really slow as a team?

WVU seemed much faster than us on offense and defense. What I saw of the Ball State game, our WR'S had trouble getting open.

I think we need to recruit our way of of this, but to do that we need to keep winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Gene Vane View Post

WVU seemed much faster than us on offense and defense. What I saw of the Ball State game, our WR'S had trouble getting open.

I think we need to recruit our way of of this, but to do that we need to keep winning.
    Well, I donít see anyone on the roster who reminds me of Danny Peebles or Nasrallah Worthen! But, I donít yet know if weíre slower than the opposition. I do know that one of our wide receivers, Thayer Thomas, outran the Ball State cover team in that punt.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Gene Vane View Post

Our Speed receiver went down week one with an ACL. Lesane is pretty fast but only a Freshman so I think his issue is more about route running and inexperience than pure speed. The biggest thing I think is that Matt has just missed on his deep ball too much on wide open receivers.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Thread Information