NC State defeats Syracuse 16-10 at home to improve to 4-2 (1-1 ACC).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: @FSU

Default @FSU

Need to start the ACC season off on the right foot. Pack has opened as a 5.5 pt dog.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

It's a matchup of two teams that need to prove themselves. At the start of the season, I thought this would be an early matchup of two teams considered dark horses to take the division. Now, each team needs to win to avoid going into a deep sleep.

Ken

I don't need another possession to form a conclusion about Matt McKay. He is not the answer, and I don't think he ever will be. He made zero pass attempts down field on our first two possessions, and it was three and out both times. Then, on the third possession, he made one 15 yard completion on a 50-50 jump ball to Emeka Emezie, who went up and pulled it in. Then, on the next play, McKay throws a rail route five yards out of bounds when our receiver is wide open by three yards. His next pass drops at the feet of the receiver on the screen in the flat, and then the third pass sees McKay once again overthrow his receiver by five yards, and as I feared, the FSU safety was in the vicinity to pick off the pass, but was unable to.

It is time to pull McKay and put Bailey Hockman in the game and see what he can do.

Ken

Well, I guess the coaching staff reached the same conclusion, because Hockman came out on our fourth possession, which starts with excellent field possession due to another excellent defensive stop, combined with a very poor FSU punt.

Ken

This game's first half is missed opportunity after missed opportunity. Really an overall poorly played half by both offenses, though FSU managed to summon enough consistency to score two touchdowns, which the Pack never did match.

I don't know how many, if any, reps that Hockman got with the starting offense in preparing for this game, but despite missing on a few throws, his game seems better suited to force a defense to play honest. And I just feel like we have a better chance to win with him starting.

Ken

Our defense showed up for this game, but our offense was very ineffective, until finally the time of possession imbalance wore our defense down.

Right now, the only thing left to do in this game is to try to fix our offense, so that going forward it can actually score touchdowns against ACC opponents.

Ken

Someone spray some stick-em on Hines' hands! Good grief!

Ken

Did not see much of Dennis Leary, but I liked what little I saw. Should have ended up a touchdown, but in keeping with the theme of this game, the receiver coughs it up as he's about to cross the goal line!

This will end up being a 31-13 shelling, and the game was very disappointing. FSU did not show they are a great team, and we still got hammered. So, that doesn't say much about us this year either!

Bailey Hockman looked better than Matt McKay, and I suspect that perhaps we've been starting the third best of our quarterback options. Experience doesn't count if someone cannot get the job done!

If Hockman didn't get beat up to the point of injury, then I expect he will start the next game. If he did, then I suspect Leary will get the ball.

I'm sure McKay is a great person, but that's not the measure of the player, and this offense needs a better grade of play than what he has shown.

Ken

Yeah only saw him throw 5 passes but the best 5 passes I saw all night. Leary is clearly our most talented QB. Was at the APP State vs UNC game last week and got a good look at Sam Howell who is a true freshman and I am sure does not know the offense as well as the veteran QBs at UNC but he is very talented and gives them a chance to win and they almost beat #1 Clemson today. I say put the kid in and take our lumps with the inexperience and mistakes he will surely make.

Another positive note from a very negative game. Payton Wilson will knock the living snot out of you. We have a young but very physical LB core right now that I feel will be among the Nations best in the next year or so.

The biggest handicap that Hockman has is that he's a lefty, and the spin and release of the ball is different. If the lefty is your starter and works in the pre-season, then the receivers can get used to it. But, as a sub in the game, it's a real hardship.

Leary looks like the future, and our defense is really good. If the offense can get it together, we can win some games this year. Bluntly stated, I think the staff made the worst of three possible choices to start the season at the most critical position on the team, and it has already cost us two games. That's entirely on the coaching staff, and they get paid the big bucks to know first and foremost who their players are and what they are capable of doing on the field.

Ken

Thread Information