Three turnovers destroy an otherwise good performance as the Pack drops their fourth game in a row, losing 34-20 at home to Louisville to drop to 4-6.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: @ Wake

Default @ Wake

Up next is the second of what is the toughest three-game stretch of this year's schedule. We travel to Wake Forest.

Wake just beat Florida State, and we laid an egg at BC.

The one significant development is that freshman Devin Leary is likely to start the game at quarterback, though that's my guess and not yet officially announced. But, after he sparked the offense for three TD passes, it would be a shock if that's not the case.

NC State has a good defense and so it really comes down to whether we can develop an offense that can sustain drives, score points, and keep our defense from wearing out.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Stallings; 26th October 2019 at 00:07.

Defense gave up over 400 yards rushing against BC.

I think the whole team needs to regroup.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Gene Vane View Post
    Defense gave up over 400 yards rushing against BC.

I think the whole team needs to regroup.
    The BC game is referred to as a "quick sand" game. I doubt our D plays that bad again this year.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Well, it's an opportunity for redemption and a game that NC State needs to win if an eight win season is in their future. However, winning road games against top 25 ranked teams is never easy and Wake earned their way to the national listings. Game time is noon and broadcast on ESPN. Wake is given a 73% chance of winning the game.

For my money, the most intriguing part of the game will be to see if freshman Devin Leary starts the game (as I expect he will), and if so, how he performs holding the reins from the start. This could end up being one of those career-defining breakout performances, where Leary tears the doors off their hinges and proclaims his presence to the world. For the record, I will be most disappointed if Leary does not get the start. His performance in waking up a moribund offense in the BC game was, in my mind at least, a clinching decision point. He earned a QBR of 141.4 in limited play against a defense that up to that point had stymied the Wolfpack offense.

Ken

Devin Leary has officially been named the started for the Wake game.

Quote Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
    Devin Leary has officially been named the started for the Wake game.
    That's expected good news. Time to see what the kid can do.

Ken

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ry-wake-forest

I remember well the breakout performance of Russell Wilson in 2008. A good quarterback can make all the difference, and I've never seen another case where a single player band-aided a wealth of team weaknesses in the way that Wilson did. He kept plays alive that should have died early, and frequently turned that extra time into long gains on situations where normally a defense would win the series. In many ways, there are similarities between this season and 2008 when Wilson made his start at Clemson. Prior to that point, Daniel Evans started the first game for the Pack, a horrible 34-0 shelling at South Carolina, in which Evans was injured. The second game was started by Harrison Beck, a faltering effort in a surprisingly tight 34-24 game at home versus William and Mary. Wilson could not lead the Pack to a win the next week at Clemson, but in his second start, he guided the Pack to a home overtime victory against then nationally #15 East Carolina. The Pack squeaked out six wins to earn a bowl game against Rutgers.

This is the opportunity for Leary to show the world what he can do.

Ken

Wow! We just are not in the same class as Wake Forest this season! 21-0 with 3:32 left in the first quarter, and all we've done with the ball is turn it over twice!

Leary made the freshman mistake in failing to recognize the deep corner defending a post route, and threw into double coverage for a pick. Our defense simply cannot stop Wake, who's scored three TD's on three possessions. This isn't the same defense we started the year with. Instead, it's the reserves earning on-the-job training!

The coaching staff has a huge challenge now before them. They have to keep these young players motivated to improve. If they can do that, then this can be a building season. But, two years back-to-back nine win seasons, and losing much of that talent, means this team isn't going to have a special year. They may well earn six wins, perhaps seven, and earn a bowl game. But, I think that's the upper ceiling for this team this year.

We could easily see this Wake game at 35-0 at half, and I shudder to think what next week hosting Clemson might look like!

Ken

Just left this game. At Twin Peaks in Winston Salem right now. Will wait until I sober up a bit to give my honest feedback about this game but big congrats to Dave Clawson and Wake. Really should be 8-0 if not for a bad call against L-Ville. Very classy fan base as I sat in the middle of several Deacon Club members today with my red and white on. Clawson is laying a blue print on how to build a football program like he has done everthere he has been and it starts with out hitting and out hustling your opponent like they did us today.

Just glad I turned it off after the first quarter.

Going to be a very, very long year.

Thread Information