NC State earns a valuable ACC road win at Wake Forest, winning 91-82 in a game marred by poor officiating and a very ugly ending with Jerrico Hellems stretchered off the court with 41 seconds left in the game.

Thread: Louisville

Default Louisville

Pack opens up as a 3.5 point dawg.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

As Doeren said to the team after the Clemson game, " ... we have three games to earn a bowl spot and that's what we're playing for."

There is an opportunity for a young team to prove itself.

Be nice to see it happen!

Ken

We can go 3-0 or 0-3 the rest of the way.

Based on the sheer number of injuries, I'd guess 0-3 is more likely.

Well, just way too many turnovers. Louisville capitalized just enough to win 34-20, in a game where frankly they didn't play all that well. We sadly pretty much gift wrapped this one for them to take home with them!

The record stands now at 4-6, and it's going to be a difficult road to win the last two to barely eek out a bowl game.

Ken

So glad UNC did not want Satterfield. He was in the running but the holes went with Mack Brown. Satterfield will kick our ass every year and so glad he will not be doing it with the holes and not saying Matt Brown will not because he is kicking our ass in recruiting.
    Satterfield was groomed by the best coach in college football history IMO by Jerry Moore.

We were outcoached tonight. Yea we have had a lot of injuries this season. Yea we have lost a lot of talent to the NFL the past couple of seasons. With all the NFL talent the past couple of years and we let a team like Wake keep us from 10 wins last season?? Underacheived with NFL talent on both sides of the ball.

Our coaching is dysfunctional right now. End of the 3rd quarter our offense finally responded and had a long drive to give our defense a rest and scored to cut Lvilles lead to 10. We responded with a bone headed coaching decision on a poorly executed on side kick to put our defense behind the 8 ball again. And then a damn kicker throws a TD pass on 4th down??? Look at about all of Louisville's TD passes. You have Brock Miller a inside LB covering their fastest receiver. Piss poor coaching not having your players in the right position. Really bad!!!

My 2 main takaways:

- As LSmith said, I am NOT impressed with coaching decisions. We do too much stupid shit. I'm about to get off the Doeren train. This is year 7 and the crap we're doing on the field is inexcusable, and it is NOT "they're young" mistakes. We're making "we're badly coached" mistakes.

- If Leary is, as the TV commentators claimed, "The future of NCSU football", we are in deep, deep shit. For years. He is NOT. GOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nicholson View Post
    My 2 main takaways:

- As LSmith said, I am NOT impressed with coaching decisions. We do too much stupid shit. I'm about to get off the Doeren train. This is year 7 and the crap we're doing on the field is inexcusable, and it is NOT "they're young" mistakes. We're making "we're badly coached" mistakes.

- If Leary is, as the TV commentators claimed, "The future of NCSU football", we are in deep, deep shit. For years. He is NOT. GOOD.
    -This staff has done a fantastic job of keeping this team together and fighting. And this year 7 BS has to stop. When you are down to walkons getting significant minutes due to depth issues from injuries and players practicing both offense and defense because of so many injuries, it is a snow ball of issues. Yes there are things you can point to for coaching. But that is every coach in every game. Heck you can watch a Bama game/ Clemson game/ LSU game, etc and question coaching moves throughout the game. Bill Belichick thinks highly of our coaching staff, so much so, we are one of the few schools he personally visits during the offseason. That alone tells me what I need to know.

-Leary has an NFL skill set if he can put it together. Will he? Who knows, but that is up to him. We also have Ty Evans (Another Elite 11 QB currently red shirting) and Ben Finley coming in next year. I am sure the staff is doing the whole support their guy thing. But it is also hard to judge him when he cannot get in a groove with the offense because of the multiple changes due to injury.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Quote Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
    We were outcoached tonight. Yea we have had a lot of injuries this season. Yea we have lost a lot of talent to the NFL the past couple of seasons. With all the NFL talent the past couple of years and we let a team like Wake keep us from 10 wins last season?? Underacheived with NFL talent on both sides of the ball.

Our coaching is dysfunctional right now. End of the 3rd quarter our offense finally responded and had a long drive to give our defense a rest and scored to cut Lvilles lead to 10. We responded with a bone headed coaching decision on a poorly executed on side kick to put our defense behind the 8 ball again. And then a damn kicker throws a TD pass on 4th down??? Look at about all of Louisville's TD passes. You have Brock Miller a inside LB covering their fastest receiver. Piss poor coaching not having your players in the right position. Really bad!!!
    WOW, I did not expect a post like this from you.

I really dont know what to say other than, I think you are completely wrong. Yes, we underachieved with the team a bit last year. But is it the players or coaches job to execute on the field?

As far as the onside kick. I dont have an issue with the call. We dont have the ability to score quickly right now. We need time to move the ball methodically and minimize mistakes. It also shows the defense you have confidence in them if we dont recover. Had we recovered he would have looked like a genius.

Also as far as Brock Miller being on their receiver, you think maybe the defense was not lined up correctly? It that even a possible thought or have we gone down this coaching staff sucks narrative so much that we cannot even fathom that players made a mistake?

Also, let me put this out there as apparently people dont realize this (or dont care at this point). The boys in blue down the road are pushing the narrative that our coaching staff is on the hot seat. They are hammering that since we have a new AD that "all AD's want their guy" and that any little slip up from DD will result him him being canned. So much so that they have hired people scouring the internet forums and social media printing off comments from State fans and showing them to players we are both recruiting saying "see, even State fans think he is gong to be fired." It is really creating an uphill battle in recruiting. We already have built in disadvantages in the State and as State fans, we are making it harder for our coaches to do their job.

Coach Avent

Quote Originally Posted by Derreck View Post
    -This staff has done a fantastic job of keeping this team together and fighting. And this year 7 BS has to stop. When you are down to walkons getting significant minutes due to depth issues from injuries and players practicing both offense and defense because of so many injuries, it is a snow ball of issues. Yes there are things you can point to for coaching. But that is every coach in every game. Heck you can watch a Bama game/ Clemson game/ LSU game, etc and question coaching moves throughout the game. Bill Belichick thinks highly of our coaching staff, so much so, we are one of the few schools he personally visits during the offseason. That alone tells me what I need to know.

-Leary has an NFL skill set if he can put it together. Will he? Who knows, but that is up to him. We also have Ty Evans (Another Elite 11 QB currently red shirting) and Ben Finley coming in next year. I am sure the staff is doing the whole support their guy thing. But it is also hard to judge him when he cannot get in a groove with the offense because of the multiple changes due to injury.
    I have to agree with this. The coaching staff should be measured by one fair measure -- how well they keep this collection of freshmen motivated to play their best. One can say a lot of things about the performance in the Louisville game, but the word "quit" sure as hell cannot be used. We've been overmatched but so far at least, that hasn't caused any loss of motivation to play hard.

This season was going to be struggle when things started out. Throw in losing nearly your entire starting secondary and half your linebackers to season ending injury, along with your best receiver before the first quarter of the first game is over, and you have an idea what the staff has been dealing with.

Folks, the first few games our defense played great, but our offense couldn't get going. The question was whether Devin Leary was ready to start in game one. Well, I initially thought that was an unanswered question. Leary's performance suggests to me that the question is answered. The staff went with the best option for game one and two, the best option for game three and four, and then the best option for the rest of the season. Of those three options, Leary is the one with the upside.

Sometimes you have to take the suck. This year, we have to take the suck!

Ken

Thread Information