NC State earns a huge road win at Virginia 53-51, to grab sole possession of fourth place in the ACC, with a 14-5 (5-3 ACC) record.

Thread: Best football team in North Carolina

Default Best football team in North Carolina

Regardless of next week's result, the best football team in the state of North Carolina will be Appalachian State. Eli Drinkwitz took over a strong program, and has continued their upward mobility. The Mountaineers are now 10-1 and frankly are ranked #24 only because their Sun Belt schedule is weaker than most of the other nationally ranked teams.

However, in all measures one can use, App State is seriously underrated. App State has a current enrollment of 19,108 students, including 1,727 graduate degree students.

When they've had the opportunity to play Power Five schools this year, they won both games, beating UNC and South Carolina both on the road.

In terms of enrollment, App State is the sixth largest university in the state:

1. NC State -- 35,479
    2. UNC -- 29.847
    3. UNC - Charlotte -- 29.710
    4. East Carolina -- 29.131
    5. UNC - Greensboro -- 20.106
    6. Appalachian State -- 19.108
    7. UNC - Wilmington -- 16,747
    8. Duke -- 15,892
    9. North Carolina A&T -- 12,142
    10. Western Carolina -- 11,639

If the ACC were to be established today, there is no way that Wake Forest would be under consideration. Far more likely targets would be East Carolina or Appalachian State.

Our horizon for top football programs in the state needs some reconsideration. It isn't any longer reserved for ACC schools!

Ken

I would say if the ACC were established today Wake would still be in ahead of App and ECU.

Lets start with a look at App. I would 1rst say that Wake would have a stake at the State's best football team. Yes App is currently ranked above them but Wake beat App last season at their place and Wake, currently 8-3 has been ranked this season and has a much tougher schedule than App. I would say App at best might be 8-3 playing Wake's schedule. I would say a draw in football but when you get to the other sports App is nowhere close to Wake. Also Wake has better facilities not only in football (yes App's is pretty nice for the Sunbelt ) but much, much better in other sports. Wake historically has had a good basketball program (yes a big drop off since the Prosser days). App would never be competitive in the ACC in b-ball. App does however have the academic standards that the ACC usually puts a premium on with the exception of Louisville which leads me to ECU.

ECU does have comparable facilities in most sports with the ACC. ECU does not have comparable academic standards. Most high school seniors get in meeting the minimum requirements. They would be competitive in most sports with the ACC with the exception of men's b-ball. Like App, ECU most seasons is equivalent to off-season cupcakes for other ACC teams.

App is a long, long, way from power 5 caliber even though they can occasionally beat a P5 school in football. ECU is closer but would need to be much more like L-ville (National championships in b-ball, Nationally ranked a lot of seasons in other revenue sports like football and baseball which they have in baseball) if they ever want to get in the ACC under their current academic standards.

Wake has proven they belong with their facilities, money, academic standards and their ability to compete and achieve in both revenue and non-revenue sports. The only negative I see with Wake is their attendance in football which is just like Duke and no-one will ever say that Duke does not belong.

Yes, but where would Wake Forests be without the influence of the ACC? More importantly, if ECU had been in the ACC, where would they be now?

Ken

Thread Information