NC State had the halftime lead against #8 Florida State, but the Noles went to the zone in the second half and pulled away to win 67-61.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Leito Resigns from Virginia

Default Dave Leito Resigns from Virginia

WRAL has just reported that Dave Leito has resigned (been fired AKA forced out) from UVA. He was there for only four years and had an overall record of 63-60.

Good luck to them finding a coach, after barely letting his first recruiting class get out the door.

It's the most assured way to bury a program for a generation or longer!

Really premature decision and it will haunt them badly.

Ken

Amen Ken. Unless Littlepage has made a deal with somebody, I can't imagine a coach that would take that job. Unless Tubby Smith is unhappy at Minnesota. He and Littlepage go way back.

I will reserve judgement until they hire the new coach. I am unconvinced right now this was a bad move. Virginia was not good last year, and simply dreadful this year.

Firing a coach after a short tenure with poor results sure seemed to work out OK for UNC...

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nicholson View Post
    I will reserve judgement until they hire the new coach. I am unconvinced right now this was a bad move. Virginia was not good last year, and simply dreadful this year.

Firing a coach after a short tenure with poor results sure seemed to work out OK for UNC...
    Matt, my God!

UNC had a unique situation. They picked the successor before they fired Matt Dougherty, and most important of all, that replacement is a sure-fire hall of fame coach BEFORE UNC hired him. Do you see any sure-fire hall of fame coaches expressing a desire to coach at UVa and NC State?

The definition of foolish is to keep making the same mistake over and over again expecting a different result!

Time for blunt honesty Matt. The last time NC State had a clearly superior and more prestigious basketball program than UNC was when a certain grey-haired slightly rotund man from Indiana coached. His name was Everett Case and he stopped coaching and died from cancer before any of us were born!

Now, the point is that to compete with NC State, UNC hired a dude from New York named Frank McGuire who harvested previously untapped talent from his New York area, noteably a Jewish kid named Lennie Rosenblum. That finally put UNC on a more or less even keel with NC State.

When McGuire left, UNC hired a relative unknown named Dean Smith. The campus kids burned effigies of the man! They almost fired him. If they had then UNC's entire basketball history would have turned out radically different.

Point is that Smith replaced a hall of fame coach with the program in great shape, and he nearly got fired. But he's a hall of fame coach now, isn't he?

Coach K replaced Bill Foster, who had established Duke as an excellent program and left the program in great shape. K struggled mightily and himself was almost fired. But he's a hall of fame coach now, isn't he?

What's my point? Sid did not inherit a program in excellent shape, did he? He did not inherit a program featuring a smooth transition, with an established steady influx of blue chip recruits, did he? Sort of the exact opposite from what two other ACC hall of fame coaches inherited. And yet, what did Sid do his first year? He took his team to the ACC Tournament finals!

That's better than either Smith or K did any of their first few years.

Matt, you've already made up your mind that Sid's not your man. Fine, but from my perspective it is views like your's that will ensure NC State never again reaches and maintains the prestige of UNC or Duke. There isn't a one of us in this forum who doesn't want that with every fiber of our being. Anyone here who doesn't want that wouldn't be welcome here!

The key is how do we get there? Is Sid a guarantee path? Nope, he's not there yet. But I guarantee you how we NEVER get there. We fire Sid in the next two to three years and we might as well forget about basketball at NC State being anything other than a perennial failure and conference doormat!

And yet, that's what you keep coming back here and implying we should do -- put Sid in a next season "do it or hit the road" situation. Might as well take a gun to his head and kill him. It would be more merciful.

How instead we give the man the chance he asked for as a condition of his hire to his alma mater? Is that going to kill you? Is that going to give you a heart attack?

Ken

After four years Leito should've had some half way decent recruits lined up to replace departing players. The talent he got into UVa wasn't very good, therefore UVa wasn't very good. He didn't do his job in building up the program. Depending on what his 2009 recruiting class looked like, I think it'd be a good indication of where the program would be heading under Leito. If it's not a good class, UVa under Leito wasn't going anywhere.

Regarding Coach K and Dean Smith comparisons, keep in mind they were both playing in the NCAA finals in year 6. By year four Coach K was back in the NCAA's.

It didn't take long for them to show rapid improvement.

Eshack

This team needs a steady point guard and a LEADER on the court and no one has been up to the task yet! Fells never turned into the player I thought he could be, Costner has all but vanished. My biggest problem is if BC's mind isn't in the game, he shoud be on the bench. You need to remember that Sid has a top 20 class coming in and the coach at Va. did not. I do think we need to see some pretty good improvement next season.

Lee is still our AD and as long as he is here, the last thing we need to endure is another coaching search.

By year four Leitao has just gotten Pete Gillen's last class out the door. You can't say the UVA program is his til year five. That being the case, UVA never let his first recruiting class get out the door, nor did they allow Gillen's last class to get out the door before whacking Leitao. Now they have to find a coach willing to come, knowing he could suffer the same fate as Leitao. (Not a position I would willingly put myself into if I was a coach) That being the case, can the incoming coach salvage the recruiting class that was coming in? Can he win with the players he is inheriting? Will UVA give him the time they didn't give Leitao?

UVA is willing to start over but, the real question is, why? I ask this question because, some of the recruits the had coming in are going to go elsewhere, which means, UVA has given the rest of the ACC and College Basketball a hand in recruiting.

All that being said, can anybody on this board tell me how UVA gets out of the basketball wilderness they have cast themselves into?

Ken,

Excellent post!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eshack View Post
    This team needs a steady point guard and a LEADER on the court and no one has been up to the task yet! Fells never turned into the player I thought he could be, Costner has all but vanished. My biggest problem is if BC's mind isn't in the game, he shoud be on the bench. You need to remember that Sid has a top 20 class coming in and the coach at Va. did not. I do think we need to see some pretty good improvement next season.

Lee is still our AD and as long as he is here, the last thing we need to endure is another coaching search.
    Costner and Fells were ranked higher coming out of high school than Howell and Brown and McCauley was higher than Wood.

Rankings don't mean much until you see the kids play at a higher level of competition.

UNC had a unique situation. They picked the successor before they fired Matt Dougherty, and most important of all, that replacement is a sure-fire hall of fame coach BEFORE UNC hired him.
    Also don't forget Daugherty had brought in some of the best recruiting classes in the nation for Roy to work with. I believe the one with May, McCants, and Felton was #1 in the nation. Come to think of it Roy has done alot more with Daugherty's recruits than he has done with his own.

Thread Information