In the most shocking development in NCAA history, the 2020 basketball tournaments (men and women) are cancelled. In addition, the ACC has suspended all sports operations, including practices, games, and even recruiting events.

Thread: 2019-20 ACC Champions!

Default 2019-20 ACC Champions!

NC State is the 2019-20 ACC Conference Champions!

They defeated #22 Florida State 71-66 to take the title!

Elisa Cunane made it more interesting near the end that one would like, as the 80% free throw shooter actually went only 3-6 from the charity stripe over the last few minutes of the game. But, she finally nailed the last two in a row to seal the title for the Pack. This is the first conference title since 1991, which was Kay Yow's fourth. It is the first ACC title for Wes Moore, who has been snubbed for ACC Coach of the Year several times now, and that's a deliberate oversight who's time needs to end immediately!

Ken

Wes is Moore.

Congrats to the team and staff.

Write up's are a bit delayed in the women's game. Attached is the box score:

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...meId=401211403

Elisa Cunane stepped up in crunch time, making several key defensive stops, including a deflection on the arc to delay FSU's last gasp three point shot. After the inbounds, FSU missed to end the game. Prior, Cunane secured a vital defensive rebound with the Pack leading 69-66, and was pushed out of bounds for a foul with 13 seconds left in the game. With both teams in the bonus, Cunane, who had missed three of six prior attempts, nailed both to secure the final winning score of 71-66. For the game, Cunane dropped 18 points to pace the Wolfpack, plus added nine rebounds. Aislinn Konig also scored 18, including going 4-9 from the three arc.

NC State shot 43.5% from the bonus arc, which has been their strong suit all season. Cunane, despite being primarily a low post threat, also nailed two open three points shots during the critical fourth quarter, in which NC State outscored the Seminoles 24-21

Florida State stormed out to a 19-14 lead after the first quarter, and then withstood a nice rally from NC State to head to the locker room up 30-29. However, things turned for NC State when they reversed first half jitters in their normally quality perimeter shooting, and hit several long range shots to push their second half lead to as much as seven. Florida State rallied mid-way in the fourth quarter to briefly lead, but it was not enough as the Wolfpack would not be denied their first conference title since 1991.

https://gopack.com/news/2020/3/8/wom...ournament.aspx

Ken

Go PACK! Awesome accomplishment for the team, and university.

Second time this year that NC State earned national news coverage!

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/no-10...le-in-29-years

Ken

This tournament is the first time I've really watched women's basketball. It was incredibly entertaining and fun to watch (especially when you win the tourney). I actually thought the play was much more fluid, and better executed, than what is typically seen in the men's game now a days.

Quote Originally Posted by packinjax View Post
    This tournament is the first time I've really watched women's basketball. It was incredibly entertaining and fun to watch (especially when you win the tourney). I actually thought the play was much more fluid, and better executed, than what is typically seen in the men's game now a days.
    It is. The womens game is much more fundamentally sound than the men. I have found myself watching the womens team more than the men. Part of that is I have a 13 year old daughter who is in to sports, but it is a fun game to watch.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Congrats to Wes Moore and the ladies who earned this ACCT. I was 12 years old in 1991 when the ladies won their last ACCT. The pic circulating the internet with the ACCT trophy on Kay Yow's name on the court brought a tear to my eye. Wes Moore is a fantastic representative of NC State. Thoughtful to the past while making us relevant in the now. Give the man any contract he wants!
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Quote Originally Posted by Derreck View Post
    It is. The womens game is much more fundamentally sound than the men. I have found myself watching the womens team more than the men. Part of that is I have a 13 year old daughter who is in to sports, but it is a fun game to watch.
    Itís because money has not yet interfered with the ability of collegiate coaches to teach the game. The women stay in school and learn how to play. Their relative lack of athleticism and power makes it an under the rim version of the game, but like tennis, itís become a more entertaining version to watch.

The perimeter shooting skills separates the menís game from the womenís game. Look at the stats for the ACC title game. Both teams shot over 40% from the three line, with NC State shooting 43.5%. When was the last time youíve seen a menís team shoot even 35% from the three line?

The women box out better on rebounds, play a better balanced defense in the paint and perimeter, and are starting to develop better low post moves. To me, it looks like where the menís collegiate game was in the 1970ís through 80ís, minus the dunks. I donít think either the collegiate nor pro menís games are as good as they were then.

And you can blame the quick money for that.

Ken

Thread Information