NC State recovered from early jitters to overcome a 10-0 deficit to beat Duke at home 31-20. The defense intercepted Duke three times to give the offense the chance to win the game.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: @ Pitt

Default @ Pitt

For NC State, they play their second straight road game against a nationally ranked team, this time #24 Pittsburgh. The game is scheduled for noon on Saturday, 3 Oct. It will be broadcast on the ACC Network. For NC State to have any chance to win this game, they must have the best talent on the field. In my view at least, that means Devin Leary must start this game. Given the performances at Virginia Tech last week, I'm confident this will happen. That said, I do not believe we have equivalent talent on the defensive end of the football, and so the question is whether our offense can keep up in a shootout.

We shall see.

Ken

I just want to see how the offense does with Leary in assuming our coaches are smart enough to start him. I already know what the defense is going to do. Maybe it is time to "defund" and "reimagine" our defense lol!

Lol!!! Not a defensive back within 50 yards of the reciever. Classic!

Quote Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
    Lol!!! Not a defensive back within 50 yards of the reciever. Classic!
    Literal truth on both counts. Literally not a defender within a 25 yard bubble of the receiver and on second and ten, on their second play from scrimmage, Pitt scores a touchdown.

Nah, we don't have any team problems! Not a bit!

Ken

Offense has so far been as good as I hoped it would be. What's surprised me is how the defense has suddenly righted itself after the horrible opening, and stopped Pitt on their next three offensive possessions.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Stallings View Post
    Offense has so far been as good as I hoped it would be. What's surprised me is how the defense has suddenly righted itself after the horrible opening, and stopped Pitt on their next three offensive possessions.

Ken
    Having Wilson back is HUGE! Pack D has been dominate against the run.

Well, whatever it was, seeing that goal line stand was a moment of inspiration!

Ken

Big win!! Completely different team from last week.

I was very impressed with Pitt's defense, especially their secondary. Honestly, might be the best secondary play I've seen in an ACC defense all year. Then, finally, they had their free safety come across the middle too late when the linebacker released on Angeline, and that was the slot that Leary needed to hit him in stride for the go ahead score with 10 minutes left in the fourth quarter.

The key on offense is that with Leary at QB, we had all aspects of the game available, and that was enough to wear down the Pitt defense.

That said, even with the college rules, to have no timeouts and march 80 yards down the field and score the touchdown to win the game is very impressive. Leary had four TD passes and no interceptions. In this game, he mastered the timing of the back shoulder fade, and even the Pitt secondary, no matter how tight they played their man coverage, there is no defense for a perfectly executed back shoulder fade provided the receiver keeps his defender inside.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by LSmith View Post
    Big win!! Completely different team from last week.
    It helps when you don't give the game away in the first quarter! I have to play the ultimate "what if," in that what if Leary had just gone ahead and started the first two games, or at least the Virginia Tech game. Would he have really been less prepared than he was when he righted the ship some at Virginia Tech, and then did more than that today?

Ken

Thread Information