NC State wins a home shootout to take the season opener against Wake Forest.

Thread: So this SAT thing goes deeper than just Memphis!

Default So this SAT thing goes deeper than just Memphis!

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...aches_the.html

I was a columnist covering basketball in California when Kansas-bound DeShawn Stevenson went from a 450 on the SAT to an 1150. The Educational Testing Service noted, among other irregularities, that Stevenson, a Californian, took the test in North Carolina.

"I passed it once," Stevenson insisted. "I can pass it again."

Roy Williams, who was then the Jayhawks coach, insisted Stevenson got a raw deal. He made a case that we were talking about a kid who worked hard and dramatically improved himself academically. And I wished it were so because, if true, we'd have a documented case of a sensational athlete getting serious about bettering himself in other aspects of his life. But when Stevenson was asked to duplicate the results on a second test, he couldn't even get a 650.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

I made a 1200 on the SAT. And I took every AP course I could and eventually ended up with an Engineering degree.

1150 my pasty white ass....

Me too, I scored a 1275 on the SAT and took every AP class offered at my school. I have an Engineering Degree and a Business Degree. I am currently working toward an Industrial Tech. Degree.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

WOW, the SAT must be easier than it was in 1977. I got an 1110 and an Engineering Degree.

Ewenc, will never get punished for "violations". They don't do that kind of thing. My best SAT score was 900 and I have BSCE. Started out in the high 800's though. 1150 my hairy white carcass.
    "The whole measuring of Vertical Leap began with David Thompson"- Michael Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by Steve M View Post
    WOW, the SAT must be easier than it was in 1977. I got an 1110 and an Engineering Degree.
    I believe it was re-indexed several years back since when I took it in 1981. I got a 1010.

However, no one can logically go from a 450 to an 1150 back to a 650. That's essentially impossible. Roy Williams is looking foolish and disingenuous in claiming the kid "bettered" himself.

Officially, college coaches are members of the faculty. This means they are supposed to firstly represent the university on an academic level. I think it's time coaches start getting fired for academic integrity reasons. Misrepresenting the situation of an SAT session is lack of academic integrity. If a professor in any academic college knew an SAT was fraudulently represented and failed to expose the student to the provost, then that professor would be open to termination.

A college coach should be in no different position.

Ken

Thread Information