The Saturday Night Massacre in Raleigh ended, Tigers 55 - Wolfpack 10! NC State stands at 4-5 and now has three games to salvage two wins to earn a bowl game.
Page 91 of 92 FirstFirst ... 418189909192 LastLast

Thread: Recruiting update:

Quote Originally Posted by Derreck View Post
    Lecque will stay in the draft.

We have all heard of the one and done. Well, the Wolfpack has raised the bar to the none and done!
    Certainly is a first. However, I actually feel better about a player doing this than in playing one season and then leaving.

Ken

Every year we get a dose of hard reality from the NBA draft. All sorts of young men are reminded the hard way just how incredibly difficult it is to earn a roster spot or even a draft slot in the NBA. It's worse odds than winning a lottery.

Going into this draft, all the so-called draft experts projected that Jalen Lecque would be drafted early in the second round. Well, he wasn't drafted at all. So, now he's out of the NBA and out of college options both! This happens all the time and it is part of life's calculations. The thing is, it doesn't need to be this way. The draft is over for the NBA and all the cards are on the table turned face up. Has the situation vis-a-vis NC State's roster really changed any in the last two months?

Soapbox time again, but why does the NCAA make this so difficult and disappointing for everyone? Simply have the draft, the NBA can draft anyone out of high school they want to, but if that player chooses college then the NBA loses that player and that draft slot! That way, the NBA is forced to put their money on the table and take their own chances. The player retains the leverage to decide his own life best by having all the information out there. It would instantly remove the agents from the equation as the players won't need them and can do away with their self-serving hype.

Yes, you may lose high quality players from time to time to the professional ranks, but at least said player would have a legitimate future in professional basketball.

Now, Lecque has a future in the Euro League, Pacific Leagues, or the NBA-DL. We may see him crack an NBA roster some day in the next few years, but the odds are that he'll never put the game jersey on for an NBA team. Who knows what solid experience in the ACC may have done for Lecque. Perhaps even just a single season may have allowed him to develop his game. As it is, he was considered too much of a project for an NBA team to invest its second round draft choice on.

Final point, here is the draft analysis for Lecque from ESPN:

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    Pre-Draft Analysis
    Lecque is a 1 percentile athlete who measured well (6-foot-4.25, 6-foot-8.25 wingspan) and showed off his shifty nature, defensive potential and springs in 5-on-5 action for spurts at the combine. He even made one lefty wrap pass out of pick-and-roll that he hasn't shown much of in the past. Lecque also was far too sped up, regularly dropping passes from Jared Harper on the perimeter while not even looking at the rim. Shooting is Lecque's clears bugaboo at this stage of his development. He wasn't overwhelmingly impressive in live action, and there are questions about his approach and just how realistic he is about his status as a prospect. But there's enough intrigue there to warrant a selection late in the draft as a flier pick with physical upside.
    Ultimately, there was actually not enough "intrigue" for any NBA team to "warrant a selection late in the draft." BTW: flier picks are just another name for a draft pick on someone whom the team doesn't really need and isn't currently a good fit for a roster spot. It's just a pick for someone whom you can throw a relatively small bit of money at and put him in the meat grinder of the NBA-DL and see if he emerges as a quality emergency roster fill.

Now, compare that to the real chance for a full ride scholarship to earn a meaningful college degree and experience four to five years of timeless moments being heralded by tens of thousands of fans cheering your every move on the court, and perhaps even earning immortality and a lifetime of accolades from millions of university alumni. Just ask David Thompson whether its the NBA money he earned or the immortality at NC State that means more to him!

Jalen Lecque will never get the chance to see what that means.

Ken

Just learned that Lecque signed a four-year free agent contract with the Phoenix Suns to play in the NBA-DL. I am genuinely happy that he was able to secure this for his future.

Ken

2 years guaranteed if I read it right. Even at minimum salary, that's almost $2M.

Probably a good call by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nicholson View Post
    2 years guaranteed if I read it right. Even at minimum salary, that's almost $2M.

Probably a good call by him.
    If those are the terms, then I agree completely.

Ken

On the subject of recruiting, we really need to get with the program in 2020 and 21. Keatts is proving to be an above average coach, but he's seriously lagging in bringing in talent like Lowe and Gottfried brought in (I assume Gott didn't pay EVERY top50 player he signed).

ESPN released a rather clumsy treatise on the subject of NC Stateís menís basketball chasing the ghost of Jim Valvano. Funny, while briefly mentioning Norm Sloan and Everett Case, the writers of that piece never did sufficiently point out that Valvano never had to chase any ghosts!

Kevin Keatts has proven to be an effective recruiter, and losing Lecque due to a unique circumstance doesnít diminish that track record.

The article was the typical pablum of a fan base with unrealistic expectations. The treatise is really more another expose of a current era media too full of itself and losing its relevance due to habitual unreasoned commentary.

Keatts should have made the Dance last year with the teamís resume. Without Lecque, this 2019-20 season is going to be unpredictable. I almost see it as a free year as Keatts continues to build the base.

What the article did explore, and what I agree with as a real threat, are significant sanctions pending for payments funneled to Dennis Smith. If Orlando Early really did pass envelopes of money given to him by Mark Gottfied to pay Smith, then we could see a multi-year sanction.

Given that distinct possibility, then Gottfried ends both a recruiting and coaching disaster!

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Nicholson View Post
    On the subject of recruiting, we really need to get with the program in 2020 and 21. Keatts is proving to be an above average coach, but he's seriously lagging in bringing in talent like Lowe and Gottfried brought in (I assume Gott didn't pay EVERY top50 player he signed).
    I think the issues on how the roster was constructed that Gott left has affected Keatts the first few years. 2020 and 2021 will really be the first few years to see how Keatts handles recruiting. I do believe that transfers will continue to be a big part of how Keatts assembles the Pack roster which will negatively affect recruiting "rankings" however does not mean we will be a poor/bad team.

I know for 2020 we are in good shape with Shakeel Moore (4 star PG) as well as a few other players.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

Quote Originally Posted by Derreck View Post
    Even going round two is not like it use to be. Most round two guys have been getting guaranteed contracts the last few years. All we can do is wait and see.
    Just want to remind everyone of this. While there is no requirement to give a guaranteed contract to players after the first round, most teams still give them to their second round picks. And as we have see with Lecque even undrafted free agents are getting guarantees.

Lecque was basically told by a few teams that if he went undrafted they would try to sign him. With that knowledge his agent knew they had some leverage and were able to translate that into a 4 year contract w/ 2 guaranteed. The NBA league minimum is $838,464 for his first year and $1,349,383 for his second year so Lecque has to at least make that. The contract details have not gotten out yet so not sure if there was a signing bonus or not.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

https://insidepacksports.com/players/11102/nick-farrar

PF Nick Farrar commits to the Pack!

Coach Avent

Thread Information