NC State defeats Syracuse 16-10 at home to improve to 4-2 (1-1 ACC).
Page 1 of 92 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruiting update:

Default Recruiting update:

Since the issue of Brown failing to qualify has come up, I wanted to give a recruiting update and what it all means:

Assuming Brown loses the appeal to the NCAA he will be arriving in Raleigh on 2010. So our 2010 class looks like this:

2010:

Ryan Harrow PG
    Lorenzo Brown SG

IMO, that is an impressive class within itself. We will likely only take 1 more player for 2010 unless the staff sees a way to make room to take another. It also looks as if the staff is focusing on the front court with the last (maybe 2) spot(s).

Potential:

Luke Cothron PF- We are in pretty good shape here and will most likely be in it until the end. There are some grade concerns, however he knows what he has to do and is (at this point anyway) doing what it takes.

Mychal Parker SF- We are in great shape here. Parker is from my home town and played for the same coach I did when I was in school. If we make a formal offer I believe he would jump on it.

CJ Leslie PF- As we all know CJ was committed to the Pack then decommitted. We have a shot, but IMO are behind some other schools on his list at this point.

We are also looking at some other players such as Tashawn Mabry and Reco McCarter as well but the three above are obviously the top candidates.

If you have any questions or want to know something specific, I will do my best to answer it or get an answer.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

In this month's Wolfpacker magazine, Mabry claims he has not heard from the Wolfpack staff for quite a while. He reported from the Bob Gibbons tournament that he has not taken any phone calls from the staff.

On the other hand, Jacob Lawson and Damontre Harris appear big men available. Lawson reports he received an offer from NC State. Harris was rated the #126 player in the 2010 class but says he has not yet received an offer.

Ken

^We have been in and out of contact with Mabry, but we are still watching him.

Another post prospect is Anthony Lee, a 6'8" Center/ PF prospect out of Florida.
    "You have to understand, I grew up a NC State fan. Every State-Carolina basketball game, football game, I've been there. It's fun, and if you like to competing and I love competing... that will be extra special."

Coach Avent

When does Johnny Thomas graduate? I read somewhere it would be the summer of 2010, so he could be switched to an academic scholarship while in grad school if he wanted to play out his final year of eligibility, which opens up another scholarship for the 2010 class.

That would be over a year early! Impressive!

Did not realize he was performing well enough to earn an academic scholarship. That would be truly impressive. If someone has his grade and transcript information, I would love them to post it. I'd make it a sticky in tribute to the young man's performance on what's most important about college!

Ken

Just an update with what is happening with the team and how that will affect recruiting. JV, the Aussie, has been much better than expected. To be frank, he has been down right impressive. He is much more athletic than previously thought, plays well around the rim and has range out to 15 ft. With this surprising, but positive, development we just might look at taking a wing instead of another big man in 2010.

Coach Avent

Another Update

Harrow signed his LOI and Brown signed his scolly papers (you are only allowed to sign an LOI once).

Cothron has committed but opted to wait until the spring signing period. He maintains he is solid to the Pack and the coaching staff feel like he is solid as well.

We are waiting to see what happens regarding the rest of the 2010 class. Does Lowe and Co. take one more player? All indications are that it is CJL or bust. To tell you the truth I think we are stronger than many may think. I look at actions instead of words a lot of times. CJL has been seen numerous times watching Harrow and Brown playing basketball this season, has caught at least two games each. With Harrow's brother-in-law CJL's HS coach, Harrow in his ear about playing for the Pack as well as CJL being at Harrows signing, I think we might just land him.

Coach Avent

It would certainly be nice if he did. It would vault us to the very top of the yearly recruiting class and give Sid a real opportunity to make serious noise in the chase for an ACC title.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Gene Vane View Post
    When does Johnny Thomas graduate? I read somewhere it would be the summer of 2010, so he could be switched to an academic scholarship while in grad school if he wanted to play out his final year of eligibility, which opens up another scholarship for the 2010 class.
    Yes, Thomas is performing well enough to be put on an Academic Scolly. Also the fact his knee still acts up quite a bit keeping him out of game after game I would not be surprised to see him put on a medical hardship scolly.

Coach Avent

Good news within bad news!

But the good news is really outstanding news. How wonderful is it to see a young man come into college and despite the difficulty of being an athlete he performs so well academically. I really admire that!

Good for him! I'm proud of him!

Ken

Thread Information